Our Genealogy - Person Sheet
Our Genealogy - Person Sheet
NameFrances Martha Barrow , GGG Grandmother, F
Birth14 May 1819, St. George’s, Stepney, Middlesex (Greater London), England1,27,90
Death20 Aug 1892, 313 High Street, Stratford, West Ham (Greater London), England40,1,8
Memodied of bronchitis and heart disease certified by Dr. Radelany and the Informant on Death Registration: Emily Seaman, 23 Warton Road, Stratford
Christen30 Sep 1821, Saint Matthew, Bethnal Green, Middlesex (Greater London), England90
ReligionCongregationalist on 1881 census in Canada, but originally baptized Anglican
FatherJohn Henry Barrow , M (ca1785-1849)
1George Edward Cyril Burt , GGG Grandfather, M
Birth1 Aug 1823, Montacute, Somerset, England1,9,38,90,124
Death26 Mar 1907, Ashmead Villa, Hanworth Road, Feltham, Middlesex (Greater London), England8
OccupationSurgeon, Druggist9,8
ReligionCongregationalist (Independent)9,8
FatherEdward Knyvett Burt , M (1795-1858)
MotherHarriet Burt , F (1796-1865)
Marriage21 Jul 1849, Ebenezer Chapel, Ramsgate, Isle of Thanet, Kent, England40,8
ChildrenJames Henry Barrow , M (1850-1875)
 Bessie Lina Barrow , F (1852-1931)
 Annie Eliza Barrow , F (1854-1931)
 Cyril Cecil Barrow , M (1857-1932)
 Edward John Barrow , M (1859-1940)
 Auguste Frank Barrow , M (1862-1920)
Notes for Frances Martha Barrow
From her grandson’s Cyril Lodowic Burt’s account:39
“My father’s mother was a Miss Barrow. Her family belonged to Norfolk and she traced her descent from Newton’s mathematical tutor at Cambridge, Sir Isaac Barrow. Like so many other Cambridge mathematicians, Barrow was an East Anglian. The only other thing my grandmother knew about him was that Charles the Second had said of his sermons: “Once he has started a theme he never leaves it until he has exhausted both the subject and his listener.” I sometimes fear this trait may have rested on a transmissible gene.”

The census and birth records indicate that despite Cyril Lodowic’s assertion that “her family belonged to Norfolk” she was born in Stepney, Middlesex.
Her birthday (without the year) and date of death (Aug 19, 1892) are listed in Frances Cecil Burt’s birthday book.1
The birthdate and christening are confirmed on the original parish records from Saint Matthew’s which also show her mother’s first name was Ann.90
We know her father’s full name John Henry Barrow and his occupation of Clerk from Frances’ marriage record in 1849.8

Living with her husband and 5 children at 76 York Street (now called “Petty France”), Westminster in 1861 which gives her age as 33 suggesting a birth year of 1828. It turns out she misrepresented her age on many censuses, which seemed a common practise when the wife was older than the husband.

She was living with her husband in Bothwell, Ontario ion the 1881 census. The 1881 census transcription on the Familysearch website lists her age as 58 suggesting a birth year of 1823.9

One example of her handwriting exists from a dedication which she wrote in a book of “Byron’s Poetical Works” to M. Sutherland in 1884. It’s quite impressive handwriting for someone born in a poor neighbourhood (see photo).

Her age at death is listed as 73, correctly placing her year of birth at 1819. Cause of death was “Bronchitis, Heart disease”37
Notes for George Edward Cyril & Frances Martha (Family)
“Married in the Independent Chapel according to the Rites and Ceremonies of the Independent Denomination” Witnesses: Mary Warden, Mary Emily Sadler; Minister: Henry Joseph Bevis; Registrar: Thomas Timothy Sadler8

from PIGOTS Directory 1840 KENT (9 years before George and Frances were married there):
RAMSGATE is a sea-port, market town and parish, in the cinque port liberty of Sandwich, of  which it is a member and in the hundred of Ringslow and lathe of St. Augustine 73 miles E. from London, 17 E.N.E. from Canterbury and 4 S. from Margate; beautifully situated on the declivity of a hill, opening southward to the sea, and commanding, at different positions, very delightful landscapes and extensive marine views – the latter, in favourably weather, embracing a portion of the coast between Calais and Boulogne. Until the year 1688 this now fashionable watering place was recognised merely as a maritime village; but thenceforward receiving an impulse from a successful trade with Russia, its limited boundaries were extended, and its general appearance improved: it is within the last forty years, however, that is has become distinguished as a bathing station, and received numerous and judicious improvements which justly entitle it to the rank it has attained, not only as a salubrious summer resort, but as a port of some commercial consequence. The rides and walks in the vicinity are highly agreeable and diversified, and its pier, the most attractive promenade, is not excelled by any similar work on the coast; it was commenced in 1750, is constructed chiefly of Portland and Purbeck stone, and project 800 feet into the ocean before it forms an angle; its breadth is twenty six feet; the depth of water increasing to twenty one feet; the entrance to the harbour is two hundred feet in width; and can receive vessels of upwards of six hundred tons burden; the harbour contains an area of forty six acres, including the back water, and certainly is one of the best on the south eastern shore. Within the port contiguous to the promenade, is a handsome obelisk raised a few years since bearing the following inscription – “To George the Fourth, King of Great Britain and Ireland, the Inhabitants and Visiters of Ramsgate and the Directors and Trustees of this Harbour, erected this obelisk as a grateful record of His Majesty’s Condescension in selecting this port for his embarkation on the 25th of September, in progress to his Kingdom of Hanover, and his happy return 8th November 1821” Since the completion of the harbour the commerce of Ramsgate has greatly increased and consists of an extensive coasting trade, particularly in coal, a profitable fishery is pursued off this coast by large vessels from the westward and many small vessels belonging to the port are similarly employed – the choice of fish are selected principally for the London market. There are yards for ship building, rope walks and stores appropriate to the casual demands of merchantmen. Various establishments for the accommodation and amusements of visiters, commensurate with the gradual increase of the latter, have been successively formed. The baths are upon the most approved principles and the internal arrangements, with reference to both convenience and elegance cannot be surpassed; those superintended by Messrs BARLING, FOAT and WELLS, opposite the pier gates and the Royal Clarence Baths, in Bath Place have long borne the stamp of public estimation. Peculiar attractions are attached to the different reading rooms, repositories and assembly rooms; and the hotels and inns are conducted in a manner that must please the most fastidious – suitable to the most dignified ranks of society and equally so to the man of business; superb assembly rooms are attached to the Albion Hotel.
Ramsgate being a member of the Port of Sandwich, the mayor of that place appoints his deputy, who acts here as constable; but the government of the town is in fact under the jurisdiction of the magistrates appointed to superintend the liberties of the cinque ports, two of whom are resident. A Court of Requests is held for the recovery of debts not exceeding £5. The town is one of the polling stations at the election of representatives for the Eastern Division of Kent.
 The parish church dedicated to St George is an elegant modern structure, the expense of its erection was £27,000 of which sum the Church Commissioners supplied £9,000; there is likewise a chapel of ease to the mother church of St Lawrence. Baptists, Independents and Wesleyan Methodists have chapels; and a neat Jews synagogue was erected in 1833 by Sir Moses Montefiore. An Act of Parliament constituted Ramsgate a distinct parish some years since, previous to which it was included in the parish of St Lawrence; the living is a vicarage, in the gift of the see of Canterbury.
 The markets, held on Wednesday and Saturday, frequently present a number of attendants from the French coast, with supplies of eggs, fruit and other commodities.
 In 1831 Ramsgate contained 7985 residents – being an increase within the preceding thirty years of 4875.”
Last Modified 19 May 2007Created 18 Feb 2019 using Reunion for Macintosh