NameJohn Henry Barrow Jr. , GGGG Uncle, M
Death22 Aug 1874, Adelaide, Australia
Occupationpreacher, journalist, politician
FatherJohn Henry Barrow , M (ca1785-1849)
1Sarah Liversage 298, Spouse of GGGG Uncle, F
DeathOct 1856, Australia298
Marriage1843, Market Drayton, Shropshire37
Marr Memoin the 3rd quarter
ChildrenJohn Thomas , M (1845-)
 Unknown , F
 Unknown , F
 George Liversage , M (1851-)
 Unknown , F
2Mary Burden 298, Spouse of GGGG Uncle, F
Marriage15 Aug 1865298
ChildrenUnknown , M
Notes for John Henry Barrow Jr.
Initially it was theorized that this John Henry Barrow was the son of our John Henry Barrow because of the following circumstantial evidence:
a) We know his father was also named John.298
b) He was a Congregationalist and his presumed sister Frances married a Congregationalist
c) He studied at Hackney College (Hackney Academy) not far from where our Barrows lived.
d) He emigrated to Australia, as did Frances’ son and younger sister.
e) His birthdate is exactly right to be an older brother of Frances off on his own separate from the rest of the family by the time of the 1841 census.

Ultimately, the proof arrived when the Burt Family album came to light which included photos of John and some family members alongside photos of Martha’s family.

Regarding the Hackney Academy:
“The origin of the Hackney Academy began in 1802 as a philanthropic non-denominational venture promoted by the Anglican Rev. John Eyre of Homerton, Secretary of the London Missionary Society and the Independent Rev. George Collison, with their associates, the Rev. Matthew Wilks of the Tabernacle, Moorfields (a founder of the LMS), and the Rev. Rowland Hill of Surrey Chapel. They secured a bequest of £10,000 from wealthy Homerton resident, Charles Townsend, enabling the college to open, following some rebuilding works, in the former house of the Rev. John Eyre in Well Street, Hackney village, in 1803. Its students lived here in premises converted from old stable buildings until the freehold was bought in 1843 and more extensive building work could be undertaken.” [from Wikipedia article on the first President of the Hackney Academy, George Collison]

He emigrated to Australia in 1853.

Barrow Creek, Northern Territory may have been named in his honour although there was another John Barrow as a candidate for that -- now it’s a tiny town with a population of 11!
Published Source notes for John Henry Barrow Jr.
BARROW, JOHN HENRY (1817-1874), preacher, journalist and politician, was born in England, son of John Barrow. After training at Hackney College, London, he took charge of the Congregational Church at Market Drayton, Shropshire, where he also ran a school. He then had ministries at Leeds, where he published pamphlets on temperance and against apostolic succession, and at Bradford where he also wrote for the liberal Bradford Observer and other journals. He married Sarah Liversage and in 1853 migrated with his family to Adelaide, where he began work in the accounts section of the South Australian Register and soon became leader writer.
In May 1854 Barrow became pastor of an Independent congregation newly formed at Kensington and in April 1856 their Clayton Chapel was opened. His wife died next October. He resigned his ministry in August 1858 when elected for East Torrens to the House of Assembly. He had already left the Register and with a joint-stock company started two new papers: the daily South Australian Advertiser on 12 July and five days later the Weekly Chronicle. Barrow controlled the literary side efficiently but the business management was divided and not a financial success. In August 1862 the morning Advertiser faced competition from the new evening Telegraph. To meet this rivalry Barrow produced the Adelaide Express in November 1863, but within a year his joint-stock company was dissolved and control passed to a syndicate of eight, with Thomas King in control of the business side and Barrow as editor and literary manager. Outspoken editorials and reduced prices soon improved the finances of the Advertiser and Chronicle and in December 1866 the syndicate bought the Telegraph, combining it next month with the Express. In September 1871 the syndicate was dissolved, leaving Barrow and King as sole proprietors.
As an editor Barrow swayed public opinion, but despite his heavy duties did not confine his energies to press work. In the House of Assembly he soon showed that he was honest, fearless and talented. His maiden speech on 1 September 1858 revealed an unusually wide grasp of European problems as well as matters of Australian interest. In 1861-71 he served in the Legislative Council, where zealous conservatives thought him 'a too democratic ingredient'. Always a strong supporter of the Real Property Act, he was appointed in 1861 to the commission of inquiry into its operation. There and on many later select committees he won repute as 'a ruling spirit'. In debates on the Northern Territory land disposals bill in 1863 he fought hard against creating new opportunities for speculators in real estate and successfully proposed amendments designed to preserve level prices for town blocks. In the severe drought of 1864 when George Goyder's lease valuations offended the squatters' party Barrow satirized their complaints in debates and editorials that added to his popularity among townsmen and smallholders. In 1870 Barrow was appointed to represent South Australia at an intercolonial conference in Melbourne. There he pressed for an improved overseas mail service and argued that, if imperial troops were to be withdrawn, Britain must secure for the Australian colonies 'the position of neutral states in the event of war'. Next year he was elected first mayor of the Corporation of Unley. He resigned from the Legislative Council, but was persuaded to stand for Sturt in the House of Assembly elections. Despite deteriorating health and frequent absences he was appointed treasurer in the Ayers ministry in March 1872, and leader of the government in the assembly. In 1873 he attended another intercolonial conference in Sydney and when the ministry fell in July 1873 Barrow went to Victoria to recuperate. He returned and with great physical and mental strain tried to attend to his parliamentary and editorial duties, but at last had to relinquish them. He died on 22 August 1874 of a serous effusion on the brain, survived by his second wife Mary Burden, whom he had married on 15 August 1865, and by three sons and three daughters.
Barrow's twenty Australian years were packed with usefulness and public service. In addition to his work for church, press and parliament he was sometime a member of the Board of Education, the Central Roads Board and the Free Rifle Corps. Though opponents thought him egotistic they had to admire the combination of gifts that made him a leading figure. Resolute and decisive, he was successful in all he tackled. His trade was words and he used them skilfully to persuade and convince, seldom to wound.
Select Bibliography
John H. Barrow, M.P.: Notices of his Life, Labors and Death, Compiled from the Press of South Australia, Printed for Private Circulation (Adel, 1874); J. L. Darling, ‘John Henry Barrow of "The Advertiser"’, Proceedings of the Royal Geographical Society of Australasia: South Australian Branch, vol 66, 1965, pp 81-91; Advertiser (Adelaide), 24 Aug 1874.
Author: C. M. Sinclair
Print Publication Details: C. M. Sinclair, 'Barrow, John Henry (1817 - 1874)', Australian Dictionary of Biography, Volume 3, Melbourne University Press, 1969, pp 104-105.
Last Modified 7 Apr 2013Created 14 Nov 2018 using Reunion for Macintosh