Cumberland County Map


This map shows the area of future Westmoreland County when it was taken from the French in 1755 and included within Cumberland County, Nova Scotia in 1759.  Note the Petquecheck (Petitcodiac) River inaccurately shown without its famous "Bend" where Monckton Township was founded.  Also note Fort Beauséjour in the Isthmus of Chignecto between the Bay of Fundy and Green Bay (Baie Verte).  It was renamed Fort Cumberland after it was captured by Lt. Col. Robert Monckton in June, 1755.  [A segment from the David Rumsey Map Collection]

Next Westmoreland Map  |  Back to New Brunswick Maps  |  Home

Site maintained by Norman Franke. Last modified February 9, 2008